My design centers around the customers who frequent Hemline: strong, young, fashion-forward women. The traditional holiday red is scrapped for millennial pink. A standard wreath is now abstracted into three rings, which are painted gold and twisted with eucalyptus vines. Earthy pine branches invite customers in. Faux fur and sparkling lights showcase the Hemline’s polished, trendy style. To express the intersectional and diverse people of 2nd Street District, a modern, curvy script celebrates of the holidays rather than Christmas.
My design is bold, chic and powerful, reflecting the mission of our store, the women that run it, and the customers that support it.
This project was a study in prop making and learning how to fit your design into a world that is not your own. I started with analyzing Lost in Translation by Sofia Coppola. The next step was to create a matchbox that could be used for that movie. Lost in Translation is set in Japan, so I focused on traditional Japanese art style. I hand drew the fish and mountain range with an ink brush pen and then vectorized it through Photoshop and Illustrator. Water is a constant theme in Japanese art, so I added watercolor textures behind my hand-drawn symbols. This project was one of my favorite things I’ve done in the GDES program.
NPR’s radio show “This I Believe” showcases every day people’s truisms or core values. In this assignment, we focused on creating a zine to highlight our own truisms. I wrote about the importance of compassion. We condensed our beliefs into a statement on the front and a paragraph on the back. Inside, we created a chromatic typeface and abstract images to exhibit our truism. The statement is simple and wholesome, and I wanted my design to reflect that. This is riso-printed, so I wanted to play with overprinting to create new colors. My background was zoomed in pieces of nature photography, which made a clean, organic texture. I put simple crossing lines within my letters to parallel the crossing leaves and branches in the background. When unfolded, the zine becomes a poster on the other side, displaying the same “compassion is key” phrase from before.
The goal of this project was to create an original typeface based on a single word. My word was shipwreck. I imagined jagged rocks breaking apart the solid structure of a ship and tried to implement that harsh effect into my typeface. On the upper left of each letter, I added a serif that mimicked a sail and crashing waves. To embody the broken effect of a shipwreck, I tried to make everything have very rough edges, including letters with curves (like O and B).
This set of 12 posters explored the process of methodical, conditional design using a plotter machine. I had to first make a set of rules, and use that rule guide over again 12 times to create 12 different unique designs. I focused my design on albums I was listening to at the time. I image traced the cover art and set it out the same way each time. I then took the first and last song and spread them over each other in a diagonal line with the same spacing. I used a color wheel I had to choose the color palette of the piece. I took a piece of colored paper, and then I would go counterclockwise twice on my color wheel to pick which ink I used for the center. The rest of the ink would be white. All of it used gel pens and colored construction paper. I enjoyed the movement these pieces had with all the overlays, as if each poster was playing the album for you.
The purpose of this project was to create an app design in After Effects for our own personal portfolio. I wanted to focus on ease of use in my design while keeping it as clean as possible. I did my best to capitalize on the ways people already interact with IOS platforms. My main navigation tools relied on swiping left to right to go from one section to another. I made all of my icons and buttons as big as possible to make it easy to tap. I used bright colors and simple symbols to draw attention to the various sections of the app.
This last assignment focused on creating a layout for a Wikipedia post. Slam poetry is deeply connected to youth communities, so I wanted to create a colorful, modern layout to show that. I picked the san serif typeface Didact Gothic for my main body of text. I wanted to push normal conventions (like slam poetry does) and put my footer text at vertical angles. I use light blue lines and text to break apart different sections. I added this pop of color around the images as well to make the color scheme more cohesive. I used the bold serif typeface Madrid to show the loud expressiveness of slam poetry as a whole.